MY TRAVELOGUE

Don Khon Island Day Trip @ 4000 Islands (Part 2) 東闊島

On the next day, I just thought of staying another night in here since I didn't have much Kip left. If I need more local money, the only way is to go for “ATM Service by boat”. After yesterday’s incident, I was paranoid if this method is safe too. I have almost lost my confidence with the villagers here. I did not really plan where to go so I just follow the flow. I knew most of the traveler spots are located in Don Khon island so the best way to explore it is by bicycle.

My itinerary was as following :
- Rent a bicycle @ Don Det
- Ride to the French bridge @ Don Khon (2-3km)
- Ride to Li Phi waterfall
- Lunch by the river
- Dolphin watching
- Tubing

The view of a Lao kampong from my chalet. One thing I noticed they prefer to build taller stilt houses for living where as the low houses (chalets) are meant for the backpackers. My own understanding on such stilt houses built is to withstand any big floods during the wet season. But the height of the pillars are way too high, I supposed they are going to renovate the bottom floor for other usage. 

Don Det island is small enough that you can walk. But in order to reach Don Khon island, riding a bicycle is essential especially under the midday sun. 
So I rented a bicycle from the chalet owner. There is a bridge built to link Don Det Island to Don Khon Island. 

The dirty road along the way.

A) FRENCH BRIDGE
After about 20-30 min ride (2km+), I reached the bridge. I was told to pay for the bridge ticket. 
Note : This ticket includes the entrance ticket for Li Phi waterfall.

TICKET         : 25,000 KIP 
TIME              : 08:00 AM - 19:00 PM



A notice board showing the ticket price for both a local and a foreigner. There was a person from the shop beside the bridge collected money from me. There's a counter at the Don Khon side so bypassing both sides is not possible. Unless you could swim across the river.

After passing the bridge, I came to this junction showing the way to Li Phi (Somphamit) waterfall (2km away) and Irrawaddy Dolphin (4km away).

The way along was extremely dirty and muddy. A van’s wheel was even stuck in the mud; some villagers were helping out to push the van. I supposed the road condition might be even worse after heavy rain. 

B) Li Phi Waterfalls (Tat Somphamit)
After passing by a Lao temple, I have reached the entrance of the waterfall.

TICKET         : NONE (included with French bridge ticket)
TIME              : 08:00 AM - 17:30 PM


Beside the ticket counter is the bamboo coffee bar that sells Lao coffee. I just realized they do have kayaking and dolphin watching tour. But later looking at the flow of the waterfall. Kayaking seemed to be really risky.

Not faraway I could notice there’s a huge waterfall before my eyes. This dramatic waterfall is officially called Tat Somphamit waterfalls. However, some local signs simply shown as "Li Phi" waterfalls, "Li Phi” which means “spirit trap” cause the locals here believe bad spirits are trapped here as they wash downstream. According to info, there are two travelers have drown here. 

Those endless liters of water keep surging down to the stream, it was extremely magnificent! But looking closer into the waterfall, it was frightening to be real too.

The mighty works of Mother Nature!

By just standing near the cliff, I could really feel it. The flow of the waterfall isn’t “play play”! Many danger signs are set up near the cliff area.

Veni, Vidi, Vici. 

I had a sense of pride of coming here by my own! 

Many slippery rocks around the fences too.

The sign is showing GONE to the BEACH. It is a big shady park with many trees around.

Life’s A B**ch.

The whole stretch of the waterfall seemed to be endless! The great Mekong river doesn’t seem to end here. The continuous flow is heading south towards Cambodia. How can kayaking be done in here??

So this is the beach??

Taking some time to sit by the cliff enjoying the priceless view of Li Phi waterfalls. The whole waterfall was so impressive! I was wondering if the government could utilize the potential hydropower here to generate energy for commercial use.



Out of the 10 Highlights of Si Phan Don, I merely visited a few of them. 



I read there’s another biggest waterfall in S.E.A, Khon Pha pheng waterfalls. In order to reach to this waterfall, a boat trip is required. I have no interest to check it out since hiring a boat is expensive and risky!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

On the way back, I rode pass a traditional “petrol station” (I assumed). There are 2 types of fuels in different colours. I couldn’t understand the lady’s words but her smile was genuine.

The French had built the French bridge to link to Don Det Island?

Things to do in Don Khon island are stated on the board. Sadly after visiting the waterfalls I have almost burnt all my calorie! =.=

The scene by the Mekong river.

Some school children were playing the rubber band hopping game.

The French bridge has brought much business or social contacts between the villagers of Don Det and Don Khon.

I was enjoying my late lunch by the river.

A dated locomotive train was used on the island? But I didn't notice any train track on the island.

The view from the French bridge. A chalet was built on the river. I wonder if any backpacker dares to stay in it. Any crocodile or snake??

On the way back, I was in the middle of nowhere. The surrounding view was so countryside, obviously. I seemed to have traveled back in the time, into a complete agrarian society. On this island, most agricultural lands dominate the landscape, i.e., paddy fields and bamboo plantations. I wondered how was a farmer’s day-to-day life style gonna be in 4000 Islands before any backpacker invaded here?

There were some cattle/buffaloes gathering by the paddy fields. Few of them were just staring at me and I just tried to keep a distance from them. (Have they ever attacked any curious looking people?)



I was back to Don Det island again. I felt sick with the weather! A nice looking restaurant and guesthouse by the river.


It was late evening. Soon I went for tubing instead of the dolphin watching. That was the last outdoor activity I did for the day. Tubing by the Mekong River was a great experience. I just enjoyed my time floating on the river...

I have bought a bus ticket to go Phnom Penh that night.

Note : The dolphin watching is a whole day trip; they charged me at least $15 to go there by boat and is available on the next day. But I had only planned to stay one night! Anyhow, I met a backpacker that went to see the dolphins. Some tourists may expect to see similar dolphin show like in the zoo. According to him, it’s totally the opposite. It was like a complete wildlife experience. While watching these dolphins live from boat, all can be seen was the dolphin's head came up from the water surface to take some breathe for mere minutes. All these can only be seen during the late evening and may also depends on your luck. Taking photo may be difficult as the boat keeps a distance away from the dolphin so that it won’t disturb their habitat.

I have done my research previously about these dolphins. According to info, these types of freshwater dolphins are called Irrawaddy Dolphins (Orcaella brevirostris). They are tame animals that don’t attack human. They live in the Mekong River, mostly can be found in places : 4000 islands (the area near Cambodia’s border), Kratie (a town in Cambodia), Indonesia or even Sarawak (Malaysia). They are known to be now highly endangered species due to on-going fishing activities around Asia. In Cambodia, during the Khmer Rouge those people have killed many of the dolphins to get the fat from their body for military usage. This had caused these dolphins in the Mekong River came close to extinction.
More info on Irrawaddy Dolphins :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrawaddy_dolphin

MY THOUGHT:
Although I stayed in 4000 islands for 3 days, I have had the adventurer’s survival experience of staying on this island. My first night in 4000 islands was the most frightening experience ever in my life. I hardly forget the whole incident till now. But I felt it was really a blessing in disguise after moving to a new chalet, as there was a heavy thunderstorm on the last night. I didn’t face any unpredictable incident after changing to this lucky cottage house. On the next day, I heard a story from a backpacker couple about their chalet had rain water dripping on the floor the whole night . And after the rain, the road in town just looked very muddy. Sigh! Perhaps, I made the right choice to cut short my stay and leave earlier.  Anyhow, it was a pity to miss the chance to observe the wildlife river dolphin on Mekong River. I wish in the future I have the chance to take a glimpse of these wonderful species.


Solid Cottage House.
Entrance Tickets in Laos PDR

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

CONTINUE MY JOURNEY TO CAMBODIA

No comments:

Post a Comment