MY TRAVELOGUE

Most Respectful Alms-Giving Ceremony @ Luang PraBang 龍坡邦

THINGS TO DO HERE:
Besides the main traveler spots in town, I would say there are plenty of things to do here. I have arranged some interesting things I did here and tasted the street food :
A) Alms-giving ceremony
B) Morning Market
C) Night Market - Walking Street
D) Street Food

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

A) ALMS-GIVING CEREMONY
In LPB (Luang PraBang), one of the most beautiful cultural sights in the morning is the alms-giving ceremony (“Binthabat” in Laotian). The eye-opening Binthabat ceremony takes place every morning at 5:30 am last about 30 minutes. From what I know, in Buddhism the main purpose behind such ritual practice is that the more we give without seeking something in return – the better our life will become. This out of fun culture practice is to pass our food offering to the passing-by monks after the dawn. The giving of alms, can be rice, fruits or needy items, are both a cause for accumulating merit and to aid the basic livelihood of the monks, whom are an important part of the Buddhism culture.

I woke up before 5am when the sky was still dark. I walked about 10 min and came to the main crossroad. Soon I was approached by a local Lao lady, she told me to follow her as I thought she could show me the place where the alms-giving gonna take place. I met an American guy and we were both brought to somewhere close by. 

Before I could decide, she just passed each of us a woven rattan container (that is filled with sticky rice) and a basket of Lao food wrapped with banana leaves (not sure what's in it?) . We did not know how this ritual works. Since she passed this to me, I just thought of giving it a try. I paid for 20,000kip. 

She helped us to tear the sticky rice into some smaller pieces so that the rice can be equally given to each of the monks that are passing by. We were told to take a seat on the woven mat .

The American guy and I were waiting until 5.30am and the ceremony has finally begun. I noticed a batch of monks in light brown/orange robes with bare foot were slowly walking in line approaching towards us. 

As they reached before us, we quickly grabbed each small pieces of rice and put it into their alms. All were given out in merely minute. And sooner another few batches of monks walked pass us. The locals did continue to offer their food to the monks. We stood at the side to observe and took some photo silently. I sincerely hoped the monks received quality food that was sold to us.  

I noticed this sincere lady had prepared a lot of rice for the monks.



 The monk had a chat with the lady.




Prior to this I didn't expect to participate in it cause I just thought of observing the whole ritual. It is no doubt this is a tourist gimmick for selling the food to tourists to earn a quick buck. But since I haven't done this before and I thought it is a good opportunity to experience it and I could have at least show my respect to the monks. I just decided to come on Monday morning as I believe there may be lesser tourists. I read in the past there're situations where those visitors kept flashing their camera lights in front of the monks or even standing in front of them blocking their way in order to capture the best moment. This can be an annoying and disturbing act to both the monks and the locals as it is seriously not a runway celebrity show. 

The lady in orange shirt was helping us and she later walked to another group of backpackers selling them the same thing. They just arrived the town by a mini van.

Fortunately today's tourist crowd was much lesser and I noticed most people are very respectful to the whole ceremony. My thought was it is not easy being as a monk and this tradition is really a good effort to show our respect to their Buddhist culture. Despite of this, some may say this is a tourist gimmick but yet the monks really need food and offerings to continue their livelihood as a monk. Just treat this as a sincere Buddhist ritual and appreciate the monks for their contributions in society and making the world a better place for everyone.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

B) MORNING MARKET

After the ceremony, it was still very early. I just walked along the main street aimlessly.

The Royal Palace Museum in the early morning.


"Khao Soi" (noodle soup) for my breakfast.

They are still using charcoal for boiling the soup. A very traditional way of cooking.

I walked to the morning market nearby the temple.


Chickens sold in rattan.

Something in complete charcoal black caught my attention.

What are these? Can they be eaten?? I couldn't understand the owner's language. It supposed to be a roasted wild boar?

Wild boars were caught for sale.


Rattan container to insert some sticky rice.


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@



C) NIGHT MARKET WALKING STREET

The stalls were setting up in the evening. It is just in front of the Royal Palace Museum.



Some local medical herbs.

It is a pretty safe city as the owners just left their stuff outside the shop.

These paintings are so beautiful.

Hand-drawn by this talented young boy.

Lao coffee for testing.

Package coffee for sale too.

 Good place to hunt for souvenirs.

The bracelets are made from the parts of bombs that was dropped during the secret war.

Snake/Cobra whiskies for sale.


I bought myself a Laotian motif pants for 40,000KIP (RM16) after bargaining.

Huge ethnic group necklaces, ladies' accessories for sale too. 

Some restaurants along Sisawangwong road.


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

D) STREET FOOD
All these are simple street food but they tasted great. I don't really have to spend a lot to taste their local delicacy. Really missed these cheap and tasty food. Drooling again...

It's my last night in LPB. At the night market, there's a local specialty buffet dinner for 10,000KIP.I was eating the economic 'buffet' dinner 1 plate with plentiful veggie+noodle+fried rice for only 10,000KIP (RM3.80). I had 20++ variety of food to choose from.

I just walked to this alley behind. There were just stalls selling the buffet dinner.

Many choices to choose from. These are vegetarian food. 


I picked as much veggie as I can onto the plate for 10,000K.

Another night I tried the local fried rice, it tasted a bit wet.

Banana pancake bought in night market.

Baguette sandwich for lunch. Simply cheaper than subway.

Coconut or fruit shake? Up to you.

Noodle soup with fruit shake.

Pork noodle with a cup of Lao coffee for breakfast.

"Khao Soi" noodle soup with some herbs, chili and lime.

Beerlao selling everywhere.

Also drinking plenty of water to keep myself hydrated.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Some Lao kids here were left unattended unlike some other countries. 

What am I supposed to do later?

Primary school students were taught to throw their rubbish in a proper place.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Vat Chom Si at night. My last night in LPB.

MY THOUGHT :
There is no McD, no KFC, no Starbucks, no Coffee bean, no 7-11, no Tesco, no Jusco, no Isetan, no shopping mall etc. All in all it just made the simple lifestyle of LPB where everything is fundamentally back to the basics. 

It was overall a wonderful and enjoyable stay in here. The ancient town is a well-preserved and tourist-friendly destination where traveling in here seem to take a step back in time. I was especially impressed with the warm hospitality of the Lao people here and not pushy way of selling things on street! Also the genuine smiles of the friendly Lao people in LPB I shall never forget! :))



I have changed my initial plan to go Phonsavan. So tomorrow I'll be going to Vang Vieng and next heading to the southern part of Lao!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

TO BE CONTINUED 

No comments:

Post a Comment