MY TRAVELOGUE

Mekong Sunset, Bamboo Bridge, Kuang Si waterfall @ Luang PraBang 龍坡邦

Some other traveler spots around LPB (Luang PraBang) that can't be missed :

AROUND LUANG PRABANG :
A) Mekong River
B) Bamboo Bridge (hot/dry season only)
C) Kuang Si waterfall
D) Some other temples

A) MEKONG RIVER SUNSET
After Vat Xien Thong visit, I had a stroll along the riverfront of the great Mekong river. I knew it gonna be a nice place to watch the sun going down soon. The sunset here happens around 6-6:30pm. I decided to look for the cheapest restaurant with a great view overlooking the river.

A local tuk-tuk that could fetch you going to the outskirt or even Kuang Si waterfall.

The beautiful blossom bright red flamboyant tree (Delonix regia) can be seen anywhere here!

Dark Wooden boutique hotels along the Mekong river. 

I supposed these design of the hotels are derived from the French colonial architecture.



There are some really boutique hotels along the street with restaurants just beside the river.

Tuk-tuk service from the restaurant.


I walked pass a river pier, a boatman approached me saying he could send me across the Mekong river (20,000K). My initial plan was to visit 3 other temples at the hill across the river. But it seemed too late now. It could be risky and I may be lost since I don't have a detailed map of LPB. From what I read, the area across is worth exploring since it is covered with forest and the scenes are completely different from the old city. It is an ideal place for trekking but going there alone is not a good idea. Plus I'll be carrying cash with me all the time. The sky is turning dark soon so glad that I didn't make it. At the riverbank, I saw a guy was holding some fishes and his wife was smiling and holding her kid walking back home. They gonna have something tasty for their dinner I guess!


Finally I found one local restaurant by the river. I could just occupy the whole restaurant since there were only 2 customers. The chefs here are the young girls. They could understand simple English i.e the food on the menu.

I ordered a squid rice + fruit shake (40,000K)

There's one problem with LPB - mosquitoesss....there's countless time I was doing  blood donations to all these tiny creatures around me. Since it's an open-air restaurant, I needed at least two mosquito coil! And I did ask for it and even drawn out for her and yet she couldn't understand. That was later a local Laotian sitting behind helped me to explain what I needed. 

I spent my evening here eating my dinner, talking to the Lao, admiring the sunset till the sky fallen into complete darkness. The surrounding was so beautiful and relaxing. Beyond words...the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen in life! The sunset was just slowly fading away....

There's a Chinese saying 夕陽無限好,只是近黃昏. It means the sunset looks awesome but it gonna end soon. The good things never last forever, we just have to value it soon. I agreed with this whole-heartedly. Time just flies...


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

B) BAMBOO BRIDGE
The next day after the early morning alm-giving ceremony, I headed to the bamboo bridge located near Phou Si hill along Nam Khan river. It was still very early and nobody was at the ticket counter. I felt I was lucky and I attempted to cross the empty bridge for free. The river level seemed to be really low. The bridge was quite shaky but it was fun to experience this traditional way of crossing the river by the villagers. During the evening, there are some restaurants opposite await for customers to dine-in by crossing this bamboo bridge. Isn't this a good idea? I was just wondering if it is safe to walk back after the sky turned dark
Note : This bridge is only available during the dry/hot season. Be cautious when nobody in taking care of the bridge.


 The view from the middle of the bridge.


Walking back.

How it looked like in the evening.




@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

C) KUANG SI WATERFALL

The day before I leave LPB, I planned to go this famous waterfall. I paid the GH 60,000kip (without entrance) to reach here. Later I realized it was a total rip off. I could actually get a tuk-tuk at the night market street and pay for 30,000kip if I go with some backpackers! The waterfall is about 30km away from LPB city. It took about 45min to reach there.

TICKET         : 20,000 KIP
TIME              : 09:00 AM - 18:00 PM

Few souvenir shops outside.

The main entrance of the park.

The map of Kuang Si waterfall

Before reaching the waterfall, there's a small bear rescue center. These are orphan bears rescued by the wildlife center.

It is a good to protect them from harm.

A black bear is taking a nap on the wooden stage.

Noticed the board : All the bears in the rescue enter are the victims of the wildlife trade. Poor them...

Met some novice monks were taking photo with the bears.

Various types of bear.

After a short way, we came to the lowest level of waterfall .

It was beautiful and the water is in turquoise. It is a multi-level cascading waterfall. 



Reached the main waterfall. I couldn't believe my eyes seeing this. The scene before my eyes was truly beyond words...

No swimming in this area as shown on the signboard.

I just took my turn to take photo there. Met some interesting people there too.



Many people are taking turn to Tarzan jump. There's a rope so you can throw yourself into the pond. It was so exciting to try it myself. Besides, more fun to see people doing some swinging stunts and drop into the water. Splash! XD

Everyone seemed to be having a great time there. Nobody cares about your nationality or race, everyone is just having FUN!

A crowded pond.

The surrounding of the waterfall has many beautiful ponds for people to swim in. I tried to swim in this pool. The water was so cool and refreshing. I used a goggles dive into the water but I couldn't see anything under the water as there may be some floating soil/mud in the pond. 


It's almost time to leave. Hope to come back to this wonderful paradise on earth. :)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

D) SOME TEMPLES

I just couldn't recall the names of some temples as I have lost count the temples I have visited since traveling from Thailand.

This unknown temple is near to the night walking street.




@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
An interesting temple - Vat Phon Xay, it is near to the morning market.


Buddhism painting on the wall about Buddhism teachings - the causes and effects.

I wish I could understand.

The Buddhism myth about Buddha and Gods.

I saw this notice to remind tourist to be remain respectful to this alms-giving ceremony.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wat Phra Maha That and Wat Hua Xiang.
I came to this temple during the afternoon. It was along the street where alms-giving took place.





@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wat Nong Sikhunmeuang, one of the hidden temple at the back of Vat Xieng Thong is a small lane which can be more pleasant to walk than the heavily tourist main road. 



@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment