MY TRAVELOGUE

Most Beautiful Clock Tower @ Chiang Rai 清萊

HOW DID I GET HERE?
From Chiang Mai Tha Pae gate, I took a “rod daeng” (red songthaew) to the Arcade bus station for (40B). After reaching the bus ticket office, I was told to get a queue number to purchase the ticket to CR. The company name is Green Bus. It seemed that many locals are heading to CR (Chiang Rai) as well.

The schedule of the buses from Chiang Mai to other main town in the northern region. I have eaten an expensive McD breakfast for (128B), located nearby the bus terminal. The interior of the bus station, it isn’t that big but their staffs are quite efficient. I bought the 2nd class bus with A/C and it costs (189B). There are buses going to the southern part, such as Bangkok or Hua Hin.


After 3 hours ride, I have reached the main bus terminal in CR. Do note that they made at he first stop at a 2nd bus terminal, which is few km away from the main town. I confirmed with them that it is not the main one. After 30 mins walk, I managed to find this guesthouse. It was just near to the temple “Wat Jed Yot”. The room looked simple with fan and bathroom but still rather comfortable. (250B)

WHAT TO DO HERE?

Basically there are places to visit within the city and around city. The traveller spots are arranged by PART 1, PART 2 & PART 3 as below:

Chiang Rai City : [PART 1]
- Wat Jed Yot
- Night Bazaar
- Golden Clock Tower 

Around City :
- Black House Museum (Baan Dam) [PART 2]
- White Temple (Wat Rong Khun) [PART 3]


CHIANG RAI CITY
I was walking around the town in the evening. “Wat Jed Yot” is still under maintenance. The whole building architecture had strong Lanna (northern Thai) style influences, which had many similarities with the Wats in Chiang Mai.





The landmark of Chiang Rai, the golden clock tower also acts as a roundabout. The most beautiful clock tower in Thailand is in Chiang Rai! 


The street lamppost looked artistic,which is the same style as the clock tower and also the White Temple (Wat Rong Khun). 



The Chiang Rai night bazaar with stalls were starting their businesses, selling local stuff, ethnic clothes, handicrafts and souvenirs. 



The unique street signs are spotted. It is extremely tourist friendly.


Another clock tower spotted along the night market.

Chiang Rai is also best known for its finest coffee in Thailand. There’re a number of nice looking café around the golden clock tower.

 I still hardly forget this iconic landmark in CR.

Within Night Bazaar, there’s a stage in front of a restaurant. Those local Thais were performing music and songs with Thai traditional music instruments; it looked similar to the Chinese ones perhaps.Nice looking dining area for foreign tourists to enjoy the relaxing and Thai atmosphere.

Even there is ladyboy did a performance of lip-syncing popular songs. The songs played are a mixture from Thai, Chinese and even Cantonese old songs, including a song by Sally Yeh.


[From top left clockwise] 
- While walking in the bazaar,  a guy was carrying a light brown doll-alike doggie and a pinkie dog was following him as well. He just got all attentions from the pedestrians. Everyone was trying to take a photo with the owner and the adorable dogs. 
- The night stalls were setup in front of the bus terminal as well.
- It is the best place to bargain for souvenirs. I also noticed some similar souvenirs such as some unique looking tee-shirts and flip-flops (that used to sell in Chiang Mai) can be seen here. There are also some stalls selling ethnic clothing and accessories.
- It was so cool! There’re many I Love Chiang Rai Tee shirts for sale. I guess they are inexpensive but the quality varies for each stalls.
- I bought a packet of mini pineapples, it tasted good (30B).


There’re some tour agents along the street, they provide 1-day tour to places like Chiang Sean, the White temple, the Black house, the Golden Triangle, Mae Sai (Thai-Burma border) and even to those minority tribe villages.

[From top left clockwise] 
Some of the food I have tasted : Warm coconut desert @night bazaar, fried chicken with papaya salad @ restaurant near night bazaar, green noodle.
Edible insects: silk worm and cricket @ night food court. 

On my way back to guesthouse, there’s a sudden heavy downpour and the wind was wailing. I was shocked to notice a tree had collapsed in front of my room! It was kind of scary. Lucky everything is fine with me the whole night.

Chiang Rai is the place I liked the most throughout my stay in Thailand. I really enjoyed my stay here. The food isn't that superb but the friendly and helpful people I met here is what I missed the most.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

NEXT PAGE >> Black House Museum (Baan Dam)

No comments:

Post a Comment