MY TRAVELOGUE

The Town of Mountain and River @ Vang Vieng 旺陽

HOW DID I GET HERE?
The day before I bought the minivan ticket from the guesthouse (GH) at Luang PraBang (LPB) to VV (Vang Vieng), it costs 125,000Kip. This tiny little town, Vang Vieng (pronounced as "Wang Wieng") is a popular stopover town before going to Vientiane. The whole journey took about 6-7 hours. It was one of the toughest ride in Lao I have encountered. Before getting on the van, we have been warned about the motion sickness due to the roads ahead. Fortunately I was arranged to take the front row seat just beside the driver. This is the minivan that can take up to 16 people. All our backpacks are just stacked and tied firmly on top of the van.

What made the journey even more unpleasant was the driver just off the A/C from time to time when the minivan is going up the mountain or when making certain turns at the corners. The uneven road surfaces, some steep winding roads up and down through the mountains and the continuous poor air ventilation within the van had made all of us felt some kind of motion sickness or dizziness too. Lucky I didn't smell any unpleasant odour coming from the back...

However, the scene along the hill was awesome. We did made a stop somewhere at the hill for an early lunch and get some fresh air before continue our ride down the hill to Vang Vieng. Once we reached the lowland, everyone felt much relieved as the A/C was on again! I had the feeling of going to countryside as the lush green paddy fields at both side of the road along seemed so welcoming. There are times where the driver sounded his horn over some random domestic animals such as cattle and chickens on the road! They were just roaming around the adjoining farmland area probably trying to seek for food. It was the funniest sight for us that lived in city! Sadly no picture taken.

Finally, we reached the bus station. Again we had no choice but to take their tuk-tuk to the town (1-2km away - 10,000K).

I checked-in a comfy villa with a hammock just outside my room. The room rate is however slightly more expensive (80,000K) consider it is quite a distance to the happening street. 

The exterior of my villa.
WHAT DID I DO HERE?
After a shower, I decided to explore the town by foot. I knew the villa is located at almost dead end of the street and I just needed something for lunch. There is a Korean restaurant cum GH just opposite my GH. It is just facing the riverfront with a great view but the a la carte serving on menu is just more expensive than the local food here.

I passed by this famous BANANA restaurant that is usually packed with falang (foreigners) in the evening. They played the repeating F.R.I.E.N.D.S soap drama all the time.


I chose to have my lunch at this restaurant just next to Banana (Riverfront? I can't recall the name). I noticed many restaurants here have a very laid-back and relaxing atmosphere. They have pillows and low tables that allow you to lay down comfortably enjoying your meal or idling or even taking a nap.

They are showing the cartoon South Park. The video just kept repeating itself for countless times. I ordered a shredded chicken rice and a fillet fish burger. Plus a pineapple fruit shake. 

It is a good spot to steal the wifi while passing by this restaurant as it is strategically located in the middle of the street.

These water-proof cylinder shaped bags can be seen everywhere here. The price isn't expensive too. I bought the largest size 15L in blue for only 55,000K (after bargaining).

The food price is slightly cheaper than in LPB (Luang PraBang). Probably they have more food resources?

After seeing this view, my first impression about this town is it has similar landscapes as Ipoh (a town in Malaysia) where there are some mountains and rivers around, so it is really no doubt an ideal place for outdoor activities as mentioned in LP.

Things to do : kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, tubing, caving and even hot-air balloon.

It was really hot in the evening and I went back to the villa and took a nap in this hammock while reading my LP (Lonely Planet). During the night, I went back to the main street and met few backpackers from LPB. In the midst of conversation, my stomach started giving me some symptoms. I just gotta hit the toilet anytime soon!

The whole night I was having diarrhea!! It was the very first time ever I had an ill-feeling in a foreign place. I brought some medicine along but it didn't help much till next day. I suspected it might be the food or fruit shake that I have eaten this afternoon! It was my worst experience...

On the next day, I felt much better after some medicine and water. It was almost noon, I did plan to do tubing in the evening if my stomach did not give any complain later. As soon as I started walking to the street, I did feel the heat could kill me anytime soon.

I walked across this bamboo bridge.

Burning heat in the afternoon.

The view from the opposite side.

It was too hot to do anything at that time. I just went for a lunch and also decided to find out the minivan ticket to get to Vientiane tomorrow. Malany is a famous and reliable tour agent company located next to a tubing shop.

I booked a minivan ticket to Vientiane for 40,000K. The prices seem pretty standard after doing some comparisons with some agents around town. 
They do offer transport to all parts of Laos from northern to southern parts of Lao, even to Cambodia and Vietnam. From here to Hanoi probably it may take up to 18 hours on a sleeper bus. 
Note : The depart and arrival time shown below is the estimated time and the prices may change according to the travel season.

At the tubing shop next door, I noticed the rental and deposit fee are clearly shown on their notice board. That's mean once the tubing is done, their tube needed to be returned to them by 6pm else there will be a penalty charge. I was told that the tuber needs to sign the contract agreement before tubing. So there's obviously no injury or damage insurance covered in this whole activity. Prior to this, I saw this on Wikitravel.
"Be aware one tourist dies every month while jumping (into the river) or tubing. Several more get severe injuries - every month, as there are many sharp rocks not visible under the water in many places along the river."
That time in LPB I met two different falang both with bandage on their arms, they were coming from VV to LPB. And also met a young girl with a crack-screen but functional iphone. They all had this accident here while tubing in Vang Vieng! I thought of a joke that if you notice someone with broken arm or leg in Laos, he/she must have been to Vang Vieng! LOL... 


I didn't have much appetite and ordered this fried noole (15,000K) 

It looked much like a Malay kampong(village) house. The bottom is renovated to be a restaurant.


A local village area surrounded with mountains. Stunning view.


Flame trees standing out.


It was a lazy afternoon, the weather is too hot to do anything. I headed back to the villa and lay in the hammock reading LP...taking a nap in my own room...



Unfortunately, after waking up from the long nap, it was all dark outside. I didn't managed to try tubing cause I was overslept...Here goes my day...


MY THOUGHT : 
My overall impression about this town: It has great views of mountain and river but there're many guesthouses and even more Falang (foreigners)! A good place for outdoor activities as mentioned.
感想 : 有山有水,民宿多老外更多的小鎮

Overall I spent 3 days 2 nights here but did not explore the "fun" activities here. It wasn't a pleasant stay here and the room was expensive too.

The town is completely different from LPB I would say. Perhaps it is a tourism town with many fun-seeking backpackers/falang, restaurants, pubs, wild party, drugs(!!) and some unwanted accidents happened. I believe all these "westernized" social activities had created negative impacts on the local village lifestyle. No wonder I read the government had banned or restricting tubing bars and rave music party by the river.

Another thing I noticed the restaurant staff services are like in Malaysia. They don't have any smiley face nor any face expression. They just like serving a total stranger and they took long time to serve me. I have even witnessed a falang was arguing aloud with a fruit hawker cause he claimed paying extra money but the hawker denied and refused to pay him back. The falang then threaten him for going police station. No idea who's the right nor who's the wrong. I have seen some drunken falang on the street as well. I'm just hoping these people won't be creating much social problems in here.

Tomorrow I gonna leave this unfriendly town...


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment